September 10, 2008

Super Champaign Happy Awesome Time


This past weekend marked a tremendously awesome occassion: home opener for the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. I know many more people get excited for the Sunday games, but having attended a Big 1T1en school, there is something about the college game that gets me more excited.

My personal attachment came from being a member of the Marching Illini for 4 years. This was, without a doubt, the best way to see a game. Sure, there were lots of things I didn't care for (namely people I didn't care for), but this is probably the only consistent stretch in my life waking up at 6 am for a rehearsal was not only easy, but I looked forward to it. The days were long, and when the team was less than great they weren't always as exciting, but they were great all the same. I think thats because everyone in the entire organization had one consistent goal: beer. Seriously, those who have ever heard me talk about college would tell you I swore that a Marching Illini party was the best show in town on Saturdays, and its true. What was great about them is that almost everyone came to the parties, and everyone always had a great time.

It's hard to imagine that you can be truly close to a group of 300+ people, but I was always amazed at the sense of camaraderie that was enjoyed by most people. And it shows - to this day you will see a large contingency of people marching with the band to their postgame show at the Ed building, and I'd say at least half are fossils (what you become when you leave the band and enter the hell of the real world). Most of us still go down to games, and I can easily say that some of my best friends were made in those first few days of band camp. Yes, it exists, and yes, it's totally awesome.

The point of this? Nothing, other than its another reason why college is awesome and why I love going back to Champaign.

GO ILLINI!

No comments: