February 01, 2011

MEMORIES



While the CPA, tech gadgets, 3 video game systems and love of cartoons all help with my nerd credentials, my music collection certifies my nerdiness double platinum. (See what I did there? Classic). Classical. Alternative. Hip Hop. Electronic. House. Classic Rock. Country. You name it, and you can probably find it in my music collection. To give you an idea, my iTunes collection currently stands at 8617 songs, 73.33GB, with a play time of 26:06:44:39, whatever that is, and there are still probably 50-60 CD’s in a binder that have yet to make their way to the digital library. It’s taken me almost 20 years to amass that type of collection. Some certainly stick out more than others, but we’re going to discuss one of them:

1994. Weezer. Blue Album.

This album is special to me for many reasons. The obvious is, of course, this album is ballz awesome. If you do not like love this album, we cannot be friends. This was the first album that turned into an absolute obsession for me. I had my mom drive me to Record Swap in downtown Homewood to purchase this album and I instantly fell in love. I could listen to this album three times in a row and never get bored with it. Later, my friends and I would jam out “Say It Ain’t So” and the “Undone: The Sweater Song” in Collin’s basement over and over again. So when I found out that Weezer was going on the Memories Tour playing the Blue Album and Pinkerton in their entirety, well it was something I very well couldn’t miss.

To say these shows rocked is an absolute understatement. The pure energy in the crowds as well as on stage made both shows a true rock experience. While there I couldn’t help but think of us back in Collin’s basement. As good as I would like to think we were, the real deal is so much better. So high fives to Weezer, The Greatest band that ever lived.

No comments: